Tuesday, July 6

Hello, good bye.....

I cant wait for the time when I don't have say Hi and Goodbye on the phone all the time. This whole long distance thing can take a toll on someone. I know, we both knew when we started this relationship it was going to be a long distance thing but you do what you have to do when you love someone. It all started my freshman year, 5 days before my 20th birthday. I was set up on a blind date (okay so it was really more like a blind formal/ vacation date). Yes, I thought Tom was cute but I wasn't sure if I was ready to date anyone yet, so we took things slow and just started out as friends which has progressed to where we are now. We finally started dating at the end of summer '08 much to Tom's relief I am sure. Our long distance travels then was only 3 hours which at the time I thought was forever and I didn't know how we would make it work, but somehow we did. The drive from Alabama to Auburn got a lot easier with time and most of the time I wish we were still only 3 hours apart. I guess from there Tom keep getting farther and farther away from me. In the summer '09 he was in a completely different world than I was, and by world I mean China.

Then there came graduation time for Tom, Aug '09. I luckily got to see him walk across that stage in Auburn and receive his diploma in building science. After this there came a struggle/ stress in our relationship. With the economy the way it is you can not find a general contractor job anywhere, therefore Tom was left sitting around Auburn with nothing to do. You better believe that was hard to deal with because I was stuck in ttown taking classes and working all the time.

After numerous fights and Tom being bored just sitting around he came back to something he has always wanted to do and that was join the military. Man, after he told me this I was a ball of emotions. Seriously the military? I mean yes it has always been part of my family and more than likely always will be but the military? I knew from that moment on I either had to be all the way in this relationship or all the way out.

I know I said this earlier but the economy is hard so it is surprising really hard to join the military right now and we are still waiting on word to see if Tom has made it to be an officer.

But back to our long distance. My dad gave Tom a job from November to February, which meant Tom was one hour closer to me! Hank and him lived at my house for about 4 months. Crazy, right? Tom choose to live with my family while I wasn't there for months. Man he really either needed the job or loves me that much. I like to think the latter of the two.

Once February '10 rolled around Tom decided he needed to quite wasting time and money down in the south and move back home to Louisville, Kentucky, and he is so lucky I am an amazing girlfriend because for my spring break '10, I helped pack up his house in Auburn and move him home.

Yes this now made my drive 6 hours when I wanted to see him. Six hours is a long time to be in the car by yourself. Its a long way to drive just to see you boyfriend for a weekend ( actually one day since Friday and Sunday are days of driving).

Having him in Louisville wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I actually got to see him 4 times while he was there and it was nice being able to get to know his family better.

But of course Tom found another calling on life. He decided since the military was taking so long and he wouldn't be leaving any sooner than December'10 that he would join the Montana Conservation Corp and work on nature trails. So yes once again in May '10 I helped pack Tom up again for the second time in 2 month. This time it is not possible for me to drive and see him because he is over 30 hours away.

Some say distance makes the hard grow stronger but at times I think it makes my heart weak. When I hear his ring tone go off my heart skips a beat, or when I see a red Jetta pass by I loose my breath thinking it could be him.

You see this is no longer a long distance relationship, this is a long distance pen-palship. Tom is out in the woods 8 to 10 days at a time and out of the woods with cell phone service for 5 days at a time. So basically that adds up to 10 days out of the month I might get to hear his voice and have a conversation with him. But even that time isn't guaranteed because him, his brothers, cousin, and friends like to travel to different places when they are off and therefore he doesn't always have service.

Of course, I get mad when I don't get to talk to him but what am I suppose to do? I am still in school and it wouldn't be fair to make him sit around and wait for me. I don't even know what I want to do in the future or even if there is more schooling in my future.

So as for now I can not wait till I no longer have to say hi and goodbye on a phone an can actually say it in person for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment